Thursday, April 10, 2014

i love you, i promise.



I haven't written my post about Avery turning two. Maybe I'm not ready to come to terms with the fact that I have a two year old running around the house. It's crazy, I tell you! The age of two has become so fascinating to me because it seems like everything that they have been soaking up over the last years starts to show through their actions. You see it through the way they take care of a baby doll or the way they stand in front of mirror and pose because they've watched you try on outfits each morning while you are getting ready for work. And you learn things about yourself that you never even knew. I learned {through watching and listening to Avery} that when I cook I explain the directions aloud and say 'now, next...' way too much. I learned that I say 'be careful' so much that Avery now tells me the same thing if I'm doing anything she deems dangerous. 

But perhaps my most favorite thing that I have learned is how good it feels to hear a heartfelt compliment. When Avery looks me in the eyes and says  "you're beautiful, mom! you're perfect!" can anything really feel more wonderful than that? Or when we are playing and Avery runs over and holds me close and says, "i love you mom! i promise!' How did she learn that? 

Over the last two years, Greg and I have learned far more about parenting than we ever imagined. We never knew we'd have so many conversations about poop, timeouts, medical bills, and teething. We learned that parenting takes teamwork, communication and patience. We've found out the importance of budgeting and that a fun Friday night can mean a trip to the store or a long walk as a family.

As scary and as overwhelming as being a new parent can be, we do the best we can with what we've got in hopes that we are doing something right. When that baby enters the world, our lives become dedicated to giving that baby the best life we can. It usually means less time and energy spent on mom and dad :) We learn a new lesson, which is "it's not all about me anymore." At times, it can be hard. We question ourselves one too many times, we over analyze and compare. And then we have these moments like the ones I mentioned above - where we see our little ones swaddling a baby doll, rocking and singing and kissing the baby's head. Or they come up to you out of the blue just give you a hug. Don't get me wrong, not all moments are roses with toddlers BUT seeing these things are signs that they are learning love and what it means to show love and kindness. And they learned it from YOU. YOU show them what love is.

My sweet Avery has been the most beautiful thing that has ever entered my life. She has shown me what it means to truly love something more than life itself. She has shown me that unexpected surprises can be the best surprises ever. I am so grateful that God chose me to be her mom. 

I love you, Avery! I promise! Cross my heart 10 millions times over and over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment