Wednesday, May 8, 2013

too many crevices

New mommies - beware! Don't make the same mistake I did - which is buying a high chair strictly on looks alone. You WILL regret it. 

When I registered for Avery's baby items, I was all about consistency. I wanted my stroller/car seat/highchair to match. I wanted my swing/bouncer/glider/pack n play to match. Sorry, it's just the OCD in me. Once Avery started eating baby food in her high chair, I knew I had made a mistake getting the matching piece to the stroller travel system...


This is the high chair we have now. Moderately priced. Cute and girly. One thing a new mommy wouldn't think about when glancing at this chair are 1) the material the fabric is 2) all of the little crevices/places to wipedown and clean off. 

First off, the fabric on this chair is clothing-like fabric so you can't just 'wipe' in down. You also cannot put this piece in the washer..hand wash only. I have spent many nights crouched over the bath tub spot-cleaning. In addition to the fabric, there are so many tiny crevices that food gets stuck in. If you don't scrub this highchair every night, then you are doomed to have leftover food in areas that are impossible to clean. 

The new highchair I want:


Everything about this chair screams basic and easy clean-up. Plus if baby #2 is a boy {at some point in the future} this chair could be used again. The only problem is the price. It's not a cheap chair. But I feel as though it would make clean-up so much easier every day. 

For as much as you use a high chair, I now know how important it is to get something you like AND is functional. There are plenty of options are out there now-a-days. And once your baby becomes mobile, deep cleaning is almost a thing of the past. I'm lucky if I can get Avery's chair cleaned after dinner before another mess is made in the living room!

So the moral of the story: find something you like AND something that you feel will be easy to clean up.

6 comments:

  1. Libby I have to comment on your highchair woes:) I did the same exact thing the first time around....my highchairs matched, but they were a pain in the neck!!! This time we did the kind that strap to a chair and then turn into a booster. This one is actually even kinda cute, wipeable, and they even sell new covers if there is a disaster:) Thought I'd share, if the link doesn't work its a deluxe Fisher Price with a cute pear print and nice snap off tray, found on Amazon. I do like that oxo one though!!!

    http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Deluxe-Space-Saver-Chair/dp/B008DDPL78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368029154&sr=8-1&keywords=Fisher-Price+Deluxe+SpaceSaver+High+Chair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cute and something to consider in our because we don't have a ton of space! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Ah ha! Thanks so much for this post, Libby. We haven't registered for a high chair yet... just figured we would wait until we needed one and then buy it for ourselves. But, I'll definitely keep this OXO chair in mind (it's so cute!) and I love the OXO brand anyways. Do you have any of their pop-top containers? We absolutely love ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advice...is totally find something with minimal crevices! The OXO chair is expensive but man, I think its worth it at this point. Now I just gotta justify this purchase to Greg. LOL. And we do have a few containers...good brand!

      Delete
  3. Love the blog title! I have to comment - we were totally in that same boat and that's the exact high chair I want for baby #2 (if and when). I got SO tired of washing the cloth (I don’t think I read the care instructions and just threw it in the wash). Plus the tray on ours is HUGE. I got so tired of washing it in our tiny sink (b/c it won’t fit in our dishwasher) that two months ago I went to a booster seat. Now Bodee just eats in a booster seat, on a chair, at the table and life has been a little easier. ;-) Another plus, I don’t have a huge high chair eating up valuable square footage in our tiny house.

    It will be a great purchase – go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously I am SO relieved I am not the only mommy that has made this mistake. And Avery's chair is the same way, large and I can't get the tray in the sink to wash!!!

      Delete