Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April Fools!

As strange as it sounds, when April Fool's Day rolls around it puts a smile on my face. It all began back in 2010...

March 31st, 2010 was the day that Greg proposed to me; which meant I had to tell everyone on April Fool's Day that we were engaged! Imagine the amount of people that said 'is this a joke?!'. For those that don't know the story on how he proposed, it's totally a 'Greg way' of doing it. The ring came in on the 31st and when he went to pick it up, he was so excited that he couldn't wait to pop the question. LITERALLY he couldn't wait, so that night after his soccer game he came home and proposed in our apartment. My husband is the kind of guy that gets way too excited about surprises and gifts that he usually ends up spilling the beans ahead of time. This was one of the happiest weeks of my life: perfect weather, it was Easter weekend, everyone was so happy for us, Greg became Catholic. Brings such a big smile to my face to think about it. 

Engagement ring! I was so stinkin' shocked at how great he did with the design.
I think by that point he had the 4 C's memorized.

Holy Saturday Mass. Both of our families were there, it was such a fun weekend.

April 1st 2011 was the weekend of my first bridal shower. Hard to believe that just a year ago we were in wedding planning mode. If someone were to have told me that in a year we'd have a baby I wouldn't believe it. Add on changing jobs, getting married and buying a house to that....I definitely wouldn't have believed it! Funny how things work out, huh?! 

Bridal Shower Hosts - love them! (PS - I miss my skinny mini body!)

Now back to 2012...here we are with our precious Avery. Life has neat way of working itself out. We are so very fortunate to have a healthy, happy little girl. I am so fortunate to have a husband that is so hands-on and loves to be a part of Avery's every cry, facial expression and outfit selection. We are all so fortunate to have such amazing family and friends that love her and support us. 

I have been AWFUL at taking pictures with my digital camera since we've been home! It's so much easier to whip out your phone when she's making a cute face and want to capture the moment. That is partially why I haven't posted much in the last few weeks. But since we've been home, everything has fallen into place perfectly. Avery is a pretty by-the-book baby, as I like to say. She eats every 3 hours during the day and about every 4 hours at night. She cries when she's hungry, wet, gassy or wants to be held (and her 'hold me' cry is different then the others) and that's about it. She is pretty darn content!

She can easily recognize my voice and Greg's. She loves to lay on our bed or the couch and soak up her surroundings. She loves the contrast in colors and the sound of rattles. She doesn't like to be cold so changing her usually sparks a good cry. Bath time has gone pretty good - I now shower beforehand to get the bathroom nice and steamy so it's warm when she's in there. If we want to put her to sleep all we need to do is turn on the blow dryer and she's out.  We have yet to put her in the crib. I told myself I wasn't going to be 'that' parent that has their baby sleep with them for weeks/months but she absolutely loves her snugglebunny rocker and since I am nursing it's so nice and convenient to have her close. 

Last week I was projectile pooped on - that was disturbing yet mind-goggling at the same time. How can something so little do that?! If we leave her diaper off too long she will go potty in a heartbeat. We finally took off the mitts she was wearing. The poor thing had such long nails and was scratching her face like crazy. She loves car rides and stroller rides. She also likes the Baby Bjorn. 

A few observations from the past few weeks of being home with her:

1. Babies are NOISY! Avery's new thing is making lots of noise. If she is trying to have a bowel movement, she has no shame is grunting and pushing like crazy. It was quite embarrassing last night at the aquarium preview when people wanted to see Avery and she was pushing out a poo-poo. The girl has no shame!

Also, Avery must have found her voice because every morning for a good 30-60 minutes she 'talks' at the top of her lungs. Grunting, squeaking, squealing, whining...you name it! It's quite funny to listen to but also really loud when you are trying to get some sleep. 

2. My iPad is my new best friend. Seriously. Whether I'm nursing, rocking or laying next to Avery my iPad is right beside me. I have been reading books, on Facebook waay too much, playing Words with Friends, making to-do lists, watching Real Housewives of Beverly Hills...not sure what I would do without this trusty device. Did you know they even have apps that are strictly white noises for babies?! So far this has been my #1 baby essential.

3. Avery LOVES her daddy. This became clearly evident to me a couple of nights ago when we were waiting for Greg to get home. We were sitting on the couch watching tv when Greg came in. As soon has she heard his voice her eyes became alert and her arms started flailing. As he came over to give her kisses you could tell how excited she was. She will definitely be a daddy's girl and I am 100% okay with that :)

4. Maternity leave isn't quite what I expected. I was so excited to get some time off and now I am really missing the adult social interaction I got at work. I thought I would get lots of projects around the house done...turns out the house isn't any different that when I was at work full-time. As much as I love caring for Avery and having one-on-one time with her, it's very hard not to be able to take her to do simple errands (to prevent sickness) or to just be able to get out of the house. I am blaming these feelings on my 'i don't like change' self and not having a set schedule and not knowing what day of the week it is totally throws me off.

Ok, to end this long post here are some pictures from the past couple of weeks:

Beautiful arrangement from my friends at Lockwood.
Avery's first bottle of breastmilk! The day after we came home from the hospital my milk hadn't come in yet and we had an incredibly rough night. The next day we had a doctor's appointment and they told me to try and pump so I did and were able to give Avery a bottle. We were so thankful. 

We bought basement furniture and Cole helped us bring it home! We love him!
Avery's first stroller ride! It was a little chilly!
Proud daddy pushing her through the park.
The Ryan's came to bring dinner and meet Avery! Andrew was obsessed with her - it was 'his baby'. 
Another stroller ride with mommy. I love my leg warmers!
Love those cheeks! 3 weeks tomorrow...
Aquarium preview at the zoo. Avery slept the whole time. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Libby! I was really needing a happy Haus story fix and you delivered right on time. Looks like you guys are really getting to be old pros at this parenting thing. See you soon. Love, "what's his name".