Thursday, March 22, 2012

Avery's Birth Story

I suppose after a week it is time to write about Avery's birth. Every little detail is still fresh in my mind and I don't want to forget it all (even though I'm pretty sure Greg has filmed every single ounce of this past week). 

As you know from my previous posts, our baby girl was late and our doctor had me scheduled to be induced. One nice thing about being induced was that both of our families could plan on when to come up. With Greg's family being in Tulsa, it was nice that they knew ahead of time. The day before I was induced I tried as much as possible to relax and enjoy Greg and my last day of it just being 'us'. 

I was scheduled to be induced on Wednesday, March 14th at 7am. So we both got up early, got our bags in the car, tidied up the house and left. Finally the feelings up apprehension and fear started to sink in; but I knew that there was no turning back at this point! Once we got to the hospital, we checked in and got going on paperwork. We met our nurse, Denise, and settled into the room we'd have the baby in. Because I was already 4 centimeters dilated and 85% effaced, Doctor Scott wanted to manually break my water and see how labor progressed before giving me any pitocen. Once my water was broken at 8:30am Denise suggested walking around the halls to get things rollin' - so off we went!

We started with a couple long laps around the delivery area before I could really tell that I was having strong contractions. At the same time both of our families arrived at the hospital and found us. I was getting pretty uncomfortable so we went back to the room to take a break. By 10:15am I was already 7-8 centimeters dilated! I couldn't believe how much walking made a difference. Denise suggested now was a good time to get an epidural. I knew from the start I wanted to have an epidural. I am the first to admit that I'm a wimp and since labor and all it entailed was something I'd never experienced I wanted to be things to go as smoothly as possible. 

Once I got the epidural I immediately felt better. I could still feel my contractions, just nothing compared to what they were beforehand. During this time Greg and I were able to watch movies (I only wanted to watch funny movies so we brought Just Married, Four Christmases License to Wed & Couples Retreat), take short naps and just converse casually. Our parents briefly stopped in every now and then and my dad couldn't believe how great I felt (my mom didn't have epidurals). By 1:20pm, I was still at 8 centimeters and hadn't progressed. I'm guessing a lot of that was because I wasn't able to walk around once the epidural was administered. Denise gave me a dose of oxytocin to speed things up. This did increase my contractions more and by 2:30pm I was completely dilated and ready to push. 

This was the part I was most nervous about. I am truly a wimp and with having an epidural I was scared that I wouldn't have enough body control to push as hard as I needed to. However, my body began telling me when it was time to push by the strength of the contractions and by the pressure I was feeling 'down there'. At 3:00pm the pushing began. Denise held one leg, Greg held the other. Once Denise told me the pushing phase can take anywhere from 1-3 hours I was determined to get baby out as quick as I could. I can't imagine pushing for 3 hours!! Now that I look back on the whole pushing part of labor, it was really neat because Greg was very involved in the process. Towards the end HE was the one coaching me and counting while I was pushing. I held his hand the entire time and didn't tell me once that I was squeezing too hard :) I loved when he and the nurse gave me updates like, "you are doing awesome or ooh we can see some hair". It gave me the drive to keep going. I ended up laying on my side and pushing which was also a little different. 

I knew that I was almost done by the amount of pressure I was feeling and the NEED to continue to push. When Denise said, "I see a bunch of dark hair" I couldn't believe it. We had to wait for Doctor Scott to get up to the delivery room and at that point I was so ready that I didn't really care who pulled out the baby. The last couple of pushes were the most intense and I could physically feel her shoulders coming out. By 4:09pm our little girl had entered the world. 

I immediately started crying the moment I saw her come out. Greg cut the umbilical cord and went over to the table to watch them clean off baby and get her ready to be put on my chest. I couldn't believe that she didn't really cry when she came out - gave a few little whimpers but that's about it. When they laid her on my chest I couldn't believe it, she was so perfect, so healthy. The doctor said 'wow, look at her eyelashes' because they were so long. Ironically enough that is the first thing my mom's doctor said to her when I was born. She had big plump lips and, of course, lots of dark hair. I tried to nurse her right away but she wasn't interested. So I just laid there with her on my chest taking in everything. Looking back at that part of the day, I didn't even realize that while I held her I had delivered my placenta and they stitched me up. Nothing else really seemed to matter.

Greg was adamant about deciding on a name. We had it narrowed down to 2 names. One name we knew was the perfect name for a little girl with blonde hair so when we saw the dark hair I knew that 'Avery' would fit her. Avery was Greg's favorite name out of all of the ones we tossed around. Before she was born Greg called her Avery. Deep down I think I knew that would be her name regardless. We chose Elizabeth as her middle name because it's a family name on my side. Towards the end of my pregnancy I thought it would be fun to give her a non-traditional middle name, like Quinn or Grace but in the end we went back to our original decision. As Greg went to tell our families Avery was born, I continued to hold her. I counted every finger and toe - she was perfect. 

Off to the hospital at 6:30AM

I'm probably thinking "Thank God for epidurals" HAHA

Cutting the umbilical cord

Where's my Mommy?!
I know I look awful, but I still love this photo - our first family photo! 


  1. Beautiful story- thanks for sharing! How about a picture of those locks you were describing? :)
    God Bless and ENJOY this time!

  2. so happy for you and greg! such a beautiful baby!!!!!!

  3. How beautiful! Congrats, so happy for you guys!

  4. Thanks guys! I need to post some more!!

  5. Oh Libby I'm so happy for you two! I started tearing up reading about YOU tearing up! Thanks for sharing! What a joy and a blessing for you both. :)

  6. Aww thanks Brandi! She is definitely a blessing :)